Monday, April 2, 2018

A Few Thoughts on Womanhood

One of my favorite parts of Easter this year was the studying I did throughout the week leading up to Easter Sunday. I used the study guide from The Small Seed, and while I didn't do everything it included, I loved their guidance on scriptures to read for each day.

While I was reading about Christ's trials and being condemned by Pilate, Matthew 27:19 jumped out at me. I had never noticed this scripture before, but Pilate's wife sent to him before he condemned Christ, and said "Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him."

Whoa.

I don't think it's a coincidence that a woman tried to stop Christ's death sentence, that some of Christ's last words were honoring his mother, that Christ first appeared to Mary after he was resurrected, or that it was through women that He first spread the good news that He lives.

I think Christ is the ultimate example of honoring womanhood, both for women and men to follow.

I've also loved learning about womanhood from our Prophet, President Nelson. His talk, A Plea to My Sisters, is one of my favorites. He clearly shows the honor he has for women, and his words empower, strengthen, and encourage me to be the strong woman my Heavenly Father is molding me to be.

"We need your strength, your conversion, your conviction, your ability to lead, your wisdom, and your voices." 

"We need women who know how to make important things happen by their faith and who are courageous defenders of morality and families in a sin-sick world. We need women who are devoted to shepherding God’s children along the covenant path toward exaltation; women who know how to receive personal revelation, who understand the power and peace of the temple endowment; women who know how to call upon the powers of heaven to protect and strengthen children and families; women who teach fearlessly."

"So today I plead with my sisters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to step forward! Take your rightful and needful place in your home, in your community, and in the kingdom of God—more than you ever have before. I plead with you to fulfill President Kimball’s prophecy. And I promise you in the name of Jesus Christ that as you do so, the Holy Ghost will magnify your influence in an unprecedented way!

On a related note, here are some of the things I've been studying about women in the gospel. I have learned SO much!

  • If you haven't seen this yet, the discourses from At the Pulpit are all online for free, and I have learned so much from them! 
  • This article...SO. SO. SO. GOOD. That's all I can Say. "Crowned in Charity and Power," provided by Q.Noor 
  • This blog about women in the scriptures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment