Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Taking a stand against Carl's Jr.

This semester, my favorite class was called Media, Family, and Human Development. I loved it because it taught me so much about the media--the good, the bad, the ugly. I feel so much more aware of the presence of the media in my life, and feel a strong sense to do my part in monitoring it and trying to make the world a little better through it.

I try to do this already with this blog and other social media posts by sharing goodness. But our final assignment for the class was actually to write a letter to anyone we wanted, asking for some sort of change. Most of my class (~80 people) actually decided to gang up on Carl's Jr., who sexualize women in their advertising campaign. We learned in class that companies basically have to take a second look or make a change when they receive so many complaints about their advertising.

This assignment made me want to be more active in responding to the media, because each voice can actually help make a difference. I've realized that we don't have to just avoid or ignore negative media, we can actively take a stand against it to make the world a better place. Not only that, we can thank media influencers who produce positive, inspiring, and uplifting media. We can safeguard and arm our families as we do so.

13th Article of Faith

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post Rebecca!! In the organization Women for Decency we use a method our co-founder, Shelly Devries developed called S.P.E.A.K. I have found it to be a very effective way to contact businesses and have received desired results. S- Sincere compliment. Find something positive you can say about the business, P- state the Problem you have with the business E- Educate them on the issue A- Ask them for the change you are seeking, K- give Kudos for their consideration of your request. I hope this helps as you continue to reach out to businesses for positive change! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sister Pond! I actually met Lisa at a BYU Fair and love what Women for Decency does. Thanks for the great tip to S.P.E.A.K. :)

      Delete