Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Cheerleading

This is the coolest cheerleading routine I've ever seen. I saw it on Facebook about a month ago, and it has since altered my expectations of what cheer-leading should really be like. I've been to a few of my husband's little brother's basektball games since watching it, and have noticed that I've been comparing their cheerleaders with these phenomenal, almost impossible athletes.



It got me thinking, what other expectations do I have because of the media? This reminded me of Elder Bednar's talk on social media, saying that we need to be authentic in our messages online. If we are not authentic and consistent in who we are, it can hurt others. I'm not saying this cheerleading video is hurtful, just that this realization is one reason I've decided to cut back on my own social media usage. It is impossible not to subconsciously compare yourself to all of the filters and prime moments presented on Instagram, Facebook, etc. We need to use social media for good--to be disciples of Christ. I'm so grateful for modern day prophets who help guide us.

We should not allow even good applications of social media to overrule the better and best uses of our time, energy, and resources.
-Elder Bednar 

4 comments:

  1. They throw each other through the air like it's nothing! I can barely balance doing a hand stand, this was really cool to watch. And they are so young!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I loved watching this and your post was great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, that was amazing!! Media should definitely be used in moderation, but it is so amazing how many more things we have access to because of media.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! This is awesome. I love the tie to Elder Bednar's quote. I'm going to be thinking about this for a while... :)

    ReplyDelete