Tuesday, February 2, 2016

What is your song?

Last week, I had a powerful lecture in my Media class on music. We went through many research findings on how influential music is in our lives. I want to share with you a few facts that I thought were impactful.
  • Lyrics have more of an influence on your behavior than the tone of the music does. 
  • Music is the most used type of media for personal identity and mood. 
  • Listening to prosocial music (positive, helpful behavior) increases prosocial behavior, increases empathy, and decreases behavior that is not prosocial. 
  • Listening to 20 minutes of classical music before bed helps you sleep better and decreases depression. 
  • Those who listen to more sexual music have sex earlier and more frequently. 
  • Hospice patients said they felt more in tune with their God on days when they listened to music.
So basically, music has a HUGE impact on our life--and we need to do our part to make sure it's helping, not hurting, us. 

We ended the lesson by figuring out this question: If you could be summarized in a song, what would it be? We referred to Soldier by Gavin Degras, which was the choice of a student (Ashley Cox) who, a week after having the music lecture, died in an avalanche. I had never heard this song before and wished there were more positive, uplifting songs that can inspire and motivate us to do good. 

I love this song called "Give Me Your Eyes" by Brandon Heath--I heard it in my early teens (on KLove:) )and I've loved it's message ever since:



What would be your song? I'd love to hear and get new suggestions for uplifting songs to listen to! 

2 comments:

  1. Becca, your blogs never cease to amaze me. Thank you for making my day again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blogged about my song as well. Either The Good Stuff by Kenny Chesney or Little Moments by Brad Paisley. Thanks for sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete